Sunday, May 16, 2010

Green Stuff

My garden is finally starting to look like one. So far I've harvested an assortment of salad greens (largely by thinning) and a couple of diminutive broccoli heads that were starting to flower.  The spinach has been a big disappointment--too much heat and sun with no rain, I guess.














The big bare spot (rear center) will soon (hopefully) sprout green beans and cucumbers. The long grassy patch of rye grass (rear right) will be replaced with little tomato and pepper plants. But that'll have to wait for next week. I'm playing it safe, in light of last week's frost that spurred me to race the sunrise to hose down the already-producing strawberries.














But that's not all.  This spring we had a whole new plot (dubbed the Creekside Garden) plowed at the bottom of the pasture. In no time at all, it filled up with potatoes, corn, edamame, and dry beans, leaving only enough space for a row or two of sweet potatoes (on order at the local greenhouse).

As if I hadn't already bitten off more than I can chew--possibly even literally--CP dug out a trench for 25 asparagus crowns resembling dried squid bundled with a rubber band.  Already I'm basking in the delight of harvests to come.

Epilogue:
In the four days between my starting to write this and posting it, the garden has taken off at a gallop.  Catching up precludes my re-doing it with up-to-date photos.  Strawberry harvest is peaking, meadow grass is reclaiming the Creekside Garden and the spindly tomato seedlings are begging for a transplant.  See you bright and early in the garden....

No comments:

Post a Comment