Thursday, November 13, 2008

Uncounted Chickens, Pre-Hatched

Don't get me wrong. I'm not counting my chickens yet. I'm just really, really hoping that the past several days' developments in NS' sleeping habits will stick.

After a distressing month or so of multiple, unpredictable night wakings, tearfully adamant refusals to fall asleep (or go back to sleep), and brief, sporadic napping only in a car seat, stroller, or carrier, this week, hope has dawned.

It's come in the form of bona fide, in-the-crib, morning-and-afternoon naps. (Granted, they're usually prefaced by lots of crying, but at least now I know how they end.) Other bright signposts include fewer, more predictable night wakings, a decrease in night feedings (down to one!), and increased ease of falling asleep (on NS' part, that is). It all adds up to greater feelings of well-being for yours truly, the type of person who's at her best with an average of eight hours' sleep (uninterrupted sleep--a tantalizing, dim memory from another life).

One thing I've learned in the past 10 1/2 months is that, mercifully, babies change so fast that no single phase lasts very long.

Oops. So much for imaginary chickens.

1 comment:

  1. I hope it sticks, too. . .at least long enough for you to begin to remember that feeling of being rested!

    ReplyDelete